The parish and the church are both named after St Giles, an 8th century hermit who lived in France. His name was given to a medieval monastic house on the Wragby Road that looked after weary pilgrims to the city and its cathedral. One of the first clergy to serve the new parish in the 1930’s was Chad Varah. He went on to found Samaritans.
St Giles Parish Church is known locally as ‘the church that moved’. Built originally in 1724 by Lincoln Council for its own civic services it was located close to the Stonebow in Lincoln and was called ‘St Peter at Arches’. It had a fine organ (enlarged by the Cathedral organ builder, Father Willis,in the 19th Century) and a peal of eight bells dated 1728. In the early 20th Century it was in the way of city redevelopment and due to be demolished. Instead some far sighted people caught a vision to see it move uphill with its organ, bells, furnishings and all, to serve the new St. Giles Garden Suburb. Later fine church halls were added for the benefit of the growing community.